Areas of research interest
- Analysis, processing and conversion of digital audio signals
- Sound information retrieval
- Affective acoustic ecology - sound and emotions
- Digital audio technologies for multimedia and networking applications
- Audio systems for consumer and professional applications
- Creative intelligence - Intelligent music and sound synthesis
- Audio games
- Sonic interaction design
- Auditory interfaces
- Augmented/Mixed reality audio
Participation in development / research projects
- "Acoustic Simulation of the Univeristy of Patras Main-Hall"
- "Integrated Voice/Data Broadband, High-Definition Network Management System"
- "Speech, Hearing and Recognition (SPHear)"
- "Design and Development of Multimedia Content for Environmental Education"
- "Wireless Networked Loudspeaker–WiNeL"
- "Enironment - Soundscapes–Pythagoras ΙΙ–Ionian University"
- "The new fortress of Corfu: An Interactive Environment"
- "MEMSense: Intelligent digital microphone sensor"
Selected recent publications
- "Gestural User Interface for Audio Multitrack Real-time Stereo Mixing"
- "Sound Events and Emotions: Investigating the Relation of Rhythmic Characteristics and Arousal"
- A Clustering Strategy for the Key Segmentation of Audio Music, In Computer Music Journal
- Automated Tonal Balance Enhancement for Audio Mastering Applications
- Investigating Auditory Human-Machine Interaction: Analysis and Classification of Sounds Commonly Used by Consumer Devices
- Enhancement of IEEE 802.11 in Handling Multiple Broadcasting Audio Data in Wireless ad-hoc Networks
- evoDrummer: Deriving rhythmic patterns through interactive genetic algorithms
- Enabling Efficient Audio Fingerprint Verification Using the Adapted Computational Geometry Algorithm
- Controlling Interactive Evolution of 8-bit melodies with Genetic Programming
- Audio Fingerprint Extraction Using an Adapted Computational Geometry Algorithm
- Intelligent real-time music accompaniment for constraint-free improvisation
- Affective Acoustic Ecology: Towards Emotionally Enhanced Sound Events
- Real-time Drums Transcription with Characteristic Bandpass Filtering
- Interactive Evolution of 8-bit melodies with Genetic Programming towards finding aesthetic measures for sound
- Stereo Image Enhancement for Small-size Mobile Devices
- Intelligent Generation of Rhythmic Sequences Using Finite L-systems
- Genetic Evolution of L and FL-systems for the Production of Rhythmic Sequences
- "Music Synthesis based on Nonlinear Dynamics"
- Emergency Voice / Stress-level Combined Recognition for Intelligent House Applications
- Automated Horizontal Orchestration based on Multichannel Musical Recordings
- "Emotional control and visual representation using advanced audiovisual interaction"
- An RSS-feed Auditory Aggregator Using Earcons
- Sonic Perceptual Crossings: A tic-tac-toe Audio Game
- Interactive Audio Realities: An Augmented / Mixed Reality Audio Game prototype
- Augmenting Virtual-Reality Environments with Social Signal-Based Music Content
- Spatial Enhancement for Immersive Audio Applications
- Binaural Mixing Using Gestural Control Interaction
- Towards an Interactive e-learning System based on Emotions and Affective Cognition
- ambiStar: A virtual space representation using 3D human interaction
- Eidola: An Interactive Augmented Reality Audio-Game Prototype
- Elevator: Emotional Tracking using Audio/visual Interaction
- Frequency-domain Stochastic Error Concealment for Wireless Audio Applications
- A Low Complexity IEEE802.11e Scheduling Scheme for Efficient Wireless Delivery
- Cable–free Audio Delivery for Home Theater Entertainment Systems
- "CORFUNET: A Mesh Network Providing Wireless Services at Metropolitan Level"
- Αποκατάσταση οπτικώς εγγεγραμμένων ηχητικών δεδομένων από κινηματογραφική ταινία"
- "dots: an Audio Entertainment Installation using Visual and Spatial–based Interaction"
- Distortion–free 1–bit PWM Coding for Digital Audio Signals
- WLAN Technologies for Audio Delivery, Advances on Multimedia Journal
- Optimized Binaural Modeling for Immersive Audio Applications
- "Real-time Spatial Mixing Using Binaural Processing"
- "Binaural Rendering for Enhanced 3D Audio Perception"
- Real–time Spatial Representation of Moving Sound Sources
- 1-bit PWM audio coding for all digital amplifiers", Ph.D. Dissertation (in Greek)
- "Restoration of Optical-recorded Sound from analog Films"
Postgraduate Thesis supervision
- "Design and development of an audio game using 3 dimensional spatial sound techniques", 2010 (in progress)
- Anthis, M., "Real-time, two-way voice phonemes conversion to digital score", 2009 (in progress)
- "Acoustic study and optimization of Ionian Academy main hall"
- Chouvardas J., "A loudspeaker reference design for electroacoustic measurements"
- Stratoudakis K., "A reference DVD application for measuring and estimating the sound quality of consumer DVD-players"
- Chartofylakas L., “Acoustic/Sound analysis of mpouzouki family instrument”
- Maragkoudakis G., "Real time signal processing algorithms for coding and reproducing 3D sound fields", (in Greek)
- Aslanidi M., "Digital academic music libraries: Retrieval and on-line broadcasting of the dept. of Music Studies original recordings"
- Laloumi E., "A video-games museum in an immersive virtual environment"
- Gkousis K., "Design and development of an educational serious game"
- Sipsas A., "Design and development of a location-aware game"
- Katachanas M., "An automated sound synthesis platform for image slideshows"
- Maridiakis A., "Design and development of a fast-food business training serious game"
- Kalaitzidou E., "e-Learning in interactive virtual environments"
Graduate Thesis supervision
- "eidola: an augmented audio reality interactive installation"
- "iSee: An interactive installation for performing psychoacoustic experiments", 2008 "ambiStar: An ambisonics interactive installation"
- "ambiStar: An ambisonics interactive installation"
- "Elevator: An interactive audiovisual installation for visualizing the emotion of human anger"
- "Sound synthesis using genetic algorithms and cellular automata"
- "Design and development of a full-digital audio amplifier"